Saturday 17 February 2018

Why the disabled in Kenya remain second class citizens in 2018

On september 2002, I wanted to have lunch in one of the restaurants in Nairobi. something millions of Kenyans can do with ease and comfort. Yet when I tried to gain entry the manager and security guard refused my cash, denying her entry because I am totally blind. and I used a white cane. cr. When I followed up called the hotel owner about the incident, the manager coldly stated, “I don’t want him in here, and I don’t have to let him in.” I hope one day Kenyans with disabilities will be granted a hearing by the parliament and senate to understand the extent discrimination and violation of rights has really affected us. With search incidences and many others it makes me and other Blind and disabled fellows vulnerable. “I was not crying on the outside, but I was crying on the inside. I just wanted to eat food like everyone else.” While the cruelty is heartbreaking, the true outrage was that in 2002 we din’t have any law on disability. Fortunately in 2003 Kibaki the former president had to be on a wheelchair in order to sign the already rusty decade bill of persons with disabilities. Many changes have taken place by formation of the national council for persons with disabilities but the poor and vulnerable person with disability are yet to enjoy the struggle. This is due to the bureaucratic processes and the agencies who are surpposed to serve are not commited to ensure access to service is achieved. Persons with disabilities do not have a platform to express there views. Its high time we have a consumer oriented organization in order to ensure government takes responsibilities of its citizens with disabilities. How does a normal Identity card is gotten for free while persons with disabilities have to pay to get the disabled card? At this error why does a blind person receive a white cane instead of technologically oriented hardware? The persons with disabilities 2003 act needs a radical surgery in order to abide with the new constitution 2010 and also the UNCRPD and the Marakesh treaties which Kenya is a a signitory All government agencies need to be monitored and evaluated based on the service delivery on what they have served persons with disabilities. NCPWD needs to change tact from service oriented to monitoring and evaluating and things will never be the same again. Persons with disabilities will be in Canaan!

No comments:

Post a Comment